Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Slow Cooker Cubed Steak with Mushroom Gravy

I based this recipe after one I saw online. I went to my local market, and that grocery store didn't have French onion soup, or at least I didn't find it. So I substituted golden mushroom soup instead of using French onion. 

Cubed steak is a cheap cut of meat. I like how this recipe is for the thrifty. And it's easy. 

Ingredients
2-3 lbs. of cubed steak, tenderized
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup of water
1 yellow onion, chopped finely
3 shallots, chopped finely
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 packages of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons of corn starch
3 tablespoons of cold water
Pepper to taste

Process
Mix the soup, water, onion, shallots, and garlic together in the slow cooker. Place the cubed steak in the crock. Add freshly cracked black pepper. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. 

With an hour or two prior to the end of slow cooking, drop in the mushrooms. 

Right before you're ready to serve, mix the corn starch and water together and pour into the mixture. Mix so the gravy thickens. 

No comments: